This is India. At least, I'm pretty sure...
It's been an amazing first couple of weeks. I've settled into my apartment, learned to buy food and cook for myself, started helping with the school: teaching English and helping out with lots of other things, as well as getting to know my way around town.
Our apartment is right in the middle of a mostly Muslim area, so there is no shortage of mosques around us. During the day we can hear the call to prayer if the windows are open, but it doesn't wake us up. We do, however, hear the wedding ceremonies and the holiday celebrations in the night. These past few days there have been loud fireworks all around and singing/prayers coming from the mosque nearby in honor of Mohammed's birthday (at least I think that's what it is...). Whatever it is: it's very, very loud...
My roommate and I have officially had our first (and hopefully only) experience getting completely lost. We ended up wandering the city for a good hour before we made it back. I was not impressed at all!
Since that experience, I've figured out how to use the taxis (tempos, auto rickshaws, and cycle rickshaws) without getting lost! My next step is buying food and clothing in the market without paying a fortune. Since I'm obviously not from around here, the prices can get jacked up to ridiculous amounts and I'm still trying to figure out how to negotiate prices. Thankfully, my Hindi classes start tomorrow and I can learn some numbers and vocabulary so I don't have to rely on finding someone who speaks English.
This will be a short update for now. Here are some prayer requests and some photos for you!
1) I'm currently battling a really irritating cold that makes it hard to sleep at night and a little bit dizzy during the day. It shouldn't last long, but prayer will make it go faster!
It's been an amazing first couple of weeks. I've settled into my apartment, learned to buy food and cook for myself, started helping with the school: teaching English and helping out with lots of other things, as well as getting to know my way around town.
Our apartment is right in the middle of a mostly Muslim area, so there is no shortage of mosques around us. During the day we can hear the call to prayer if the windows are open, but it doesn't wake us up. We do, however, hear the wedding ceremonies and the holiday celebrations in the night. These past few days there have been loud fireworks all around and singing/prayers coming from the mosque nearby in honor of Mohammed's birthday (at least I think that's what it is...). Whatever it is: it's very, very loud...
My roommate and I have officially had our first (and hopefully only) experience getting completely lost. We ended up wandering the city for a good hour before we made it back. I was not impressed at all!
Since that experience, I've figured out how to use the taxis (tempos, auto rickshaws, and cycle rickshaws) without getting lost! My next step is buying food and clothing in the market without paying a fortune. Since I'm obviously not from around here, the prices can get jacked up to ridiculous amounts and I'm still trying to figure out how to negotiate prices. Thankfully, my Hindi classes start tomorrow and I can learn some numbers and vocabulary so I don't have to rely on finding someone who speaks English.
This will be a short update for now. Here are some prayer requests and some photos for you!
1) I'm currently battling a really irritating cold that makes it hard to sleep at night and a little bit dizzy during the day. It shouldn't last long, but prayer will make it go faster!
2) For continued good relationships with the team and that we would really be a blessing while we're here. They are absolutely fantastic people and it's wonderful to be working with them!
3) Language learning! I'm working on refreshing/ relearning Spanish in the school, and next week we start our Hindi classes. Pray for quick understanding and that we would be able to retain what we learn despite the information overload that comes with switching continents!
Thanks, everyone! God bless and I will update soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment