Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Southall, London

Most of this week was spent in Southall, London doing our cross-cultural training. Southall is made up of so many different cultures, it hardly felt like London at all. It's nicknamed mini-India for a good reason. I've never seen so many Saris and head scarves, or so many different types of restaurants in one place.
We were blessed to be able to stay in a local church for the week. The people running it were so lovely and commited to the Lord. It was such a blessing to be able to stay with them and spend the week there.
We arrived on Wednesday after a five (or so) hour bus ride, and after a lecture we helped prepare and serve a meal to local homeless. Some of our group played music and sang, which went over very, very well. A few of the men got up and danced, and at one point one got up and sang in Hindi, which was amazing!

Thursday we had a lecture about Islam and the differences between the Qur'an and the Bible. We were encouraged to read the Qur'an so that we can better understand what Islam is about and compare it to our Bible to be more effective witnesses to Muslims. I think I will someday, but it definitely makes me want to know my Bible more in-depth. Particularly the old Testament. Afterward we were able to visit a mosque and ask lots of questions about Islam. Although it was very difficult to get a straight answer most of the time, we learned a lot.

Friday was definitely the most eventful day. We spent the morning and a good part of the afternoon touring the British Museum and the British Library, where we got to see tablets and artifacts that predated the earliest copy of the Bible and that had names and history that up until they were discovered, could be found nowhere but the Bible. Proving those things to be accurate outside the Bible.  God works everywhere! On a side note, we also got to see the Rosetta Stone, which was REALLY cool.
After the museum we walked to the British Library to see ancient copies of the Qur'an and the Bible. It was absolutely amazing to see so many things that related to Christianity in such a secular place. To see artifacts that display history you've always known was true, but you still look at it and think "These things really happened. They're not just Bible stories."
We had Friday afternoon off, so we took the opportunity to play tourist. A few of us took the train system through London to see Big Ben, The London Eye, The Tower Bridge, The Tower of London, and Westminster Abbey. On the way there, we were rushing to catch a train and only half of our group made it on the train. For a moment I thought I was the only one who hadn't made it, which was a frightening thought, but it all turned out alright. I took more photos than I know what to do with, so expect those soon!

Saturday we had the morning off, so the group split yet again. I went to Camden Market, a massive outdoor market in central London that stretches on for ages with food and booths from different parts of the world. It was a good time for a few of us to shop for people back home and bond over Asian Food before taking the train back to Southall, where we deep cleaned and primer-painted the main hall of the church as a thank-you for letting us stay. It was great to be able to bless the church in return for all they did for us.

Sunday the group split yet again. Half of us went to Hillsong London and then on to Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. The other half (including myself) stayed at the church for a morning and evening service. The morning service was in english, and the evening service was translated into Punjabi. Worship at both services was definitely my favorite part. Trying to sing in Punjabi was interesting, but fun. We ended the evening with some amazing Indian food.

Monday we were able to visit a Hindu Temple. Again the girls had to cover our heads. We went in and looked around a little before our lecture began. Idols were lined up all along the walls (some the women were asked not to get too close to), all of them dressed up in very expensive clothes. People wandered in and out and gave offerering to various gods and goddesses.
When the priest arrived to talk to us, we sat on the floor (with our feet pointed AWAY from the idols) and listened. Or tried to, at least. His english was not very good, and he muttered something awful. At one point he asked us to join him in meditating, but we convinced him we would rather not. By the end, all of us were just as confused as when we began, but it was a good experience.
Later in the afternoon, we had a quetionaire to fill out comparing Hinduism, Sikhism, and Islam. The idea of the game was to go around Southall in pairs and ask different people about different aspects of the religions. My partner in the game and I went to a local sweets shop we had been to before and ended up talking to three people about Sikhism for nearly an hour. They were so open and willing to explain about everything.
That evening we heard the testimony of a former Sikh man. He told us about Sikhism and how he became a Christian before his entire family became Christians. It was such a powerful testimony that really encouraged everyone. Definitely a highlight.

Monday was sadly the last day with the lovely Southall church people. In the morning we went to visit the Sikh temple. Again with heads covered and no shoes, only this time the guys shared in the head-covering. The temple had heated floors, which was wonderful.
Our guide was a really nice guy who explained Sikhism in depth and then led us around the temple. We got to sit in on their worship and share a meal with them. Everyone there was so sweet. The Sikhs has a humility and kindness in their attitudes that really challenged me. They are all about accepting and loving people from all backgrounds. Just as we should be as Christians. It was sad to see such wonderfully lovely people so misguided.
Someone in the groups said afterward: "Imagine if they were Christians?"

All in all, Southall had more cultural diversity than I've ever experienced in my entire life. It really gave me a heart for people of other religions and made me see them as God sees them. As hearts he desires just as much as he desires mine. God doesn't speak only english. He doesn't love only the western world.

On an entirely different note, I found out this morning that West Africa, which was my second placement option, is not currently taking anyone who does not speak french, which I do not. I'm still praying about where God wants me to go, and I would greatly appreciate continued prayer. Wherever I end up, God will use me! I don't have to know for sure for a little while still, so I have time to think and find out more about my options.

This next week is DT week, which is full of outdoor pursuits and team building. I won't be reachable during this week (they take out phones and computers away, oh no!!), but I will update you all as soon as I can! Thank you so much for your continued prayers and support!!! God bless you all!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time in London! It sounds like you saw many of the same things I saw when I was there. Camden Market was incredible, as are most markets in foreign countries. Keep up the good work on the blog. Talk to you soon.

    Seth

    ReplyDelete
  2. felicitaciones.Imaginaba que sólo te gustaba escribir en papel,pero ya veo que no, Felicitaciones. no entendí todo pero algo entendí. You are a wonderful girl, whit many things to sharing!! sorry !! for my english!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seth:
    I took lots of pictures for you to see when I get home at Christmas!! And you can take LOTS when you come see me on placement! :D

    Otoniel: Gracias!! Su Inglés es muy bueno! Mejor cada día! Estoy feliz de que podía entender la mayor parte de mi escritura. Espero que mi español no es tan malo. (Estoy usando google para que me ayude!)

    ReplyDelete